[AT] Fw: Chainsaw Ramblings - now chainsaw pruning poles

Len Rugen rugenl at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 21 05:59:05 PDT 2008

I bought one of these at this springs Stihl days.  They have a fixed-length pole model and 2 extendable models with different sized power heads. I got the extendable pole with the smaller motor.  With the boys all leaving home I have to do this alone or trust my wife to drive the tractor while I'm in the loader bucket.....

They are VERY handy, but they will really tire you out running them fully extened if you have to move around alot.  They are also very prone to pinching and are easy to hang up.  You need to cut some limbs into smaller pieces to avoid the pinch.  I managed to pull my pole apart after getting pinched once.  No damage, but the manual doesn't have a breakdown of how the pole goes back together.  You don't want to damage the pole, replacements are very expensive.

The unit listed for nearly $600, but I got 10-15% off during Stihl days.  With as much field edge and farm roads as I have and with care, this thing will last me as long as I'm able to use it, it's worth it.  But, if you have a few days use, rent one.

Before I had this unit, I had just the chain-head that will fit on other Stihl straight shaft trimmers.  This setup is even shorter than the fixed shaft pole saw, but it works OK for lower limbs (I'm tall) and or from a loader bucket.  I got a slightly used head off ebay for about $100, less than half the store price.

Len Rugen