[AT] OT Chainsaw recommendations?

Len Rugen rugenl at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 19 19:11:09 PDT 2008

Yep, first cold spell, time to talk about chainsaws :-)

I have a Husky 359 that has been somewhat of a pain, good when it works,
but needed a carb kit at it's first birthday, it wouldn't adjust to cold
weather.  This saws 'carb seems to need to be tweaked between Missouri
summer temps and winter temps.  I think I've got the Husky broke to lead
now.

I gave my son my MS-290 when I got the Husky because I wanted a pro saw
and I thought it was getting tired.  He cleaned and tuned it and as cut
another 50 cords of wood with it.

I just got a MS-260 for a light smaller saw paired with the Husky 359.
I like to keep 2, so I can saw out my pinches....   In 6" wood, the 260
is just as fast as the  359, at about 12" wood, the 359 becomes faster.

Full chistle chain will cut faster but is easier dulled.  If chistle
chain isn't cutting GREAT, stop and file it.  It's easier to do a touch
up than to fix a badly dulled chain.  I don't our local shops care much
about sharpening, I can do a better job with a file and guide.  They
just burn them to shape and send them out.