[AT] Chainsaw reccomendations - chain?

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 07:51:02 PDT 2008

I am running a Stihl 290 also.  Picked it up brand-new, my first ever
chainsaw that wasn't an auction find.  It replaced an 031AV that was
also a great saw (dating to perhaps late 60's or early 70's, sporting
a cool old Stihl logo that I've never seen before).  My new 290 came
complete with a 16" bar and anti-kick chain.  Several friends advised
me that the anti-kick chain had insufficient performance so while the
credit card was out I got a conventional Stihl chain for it too.  I
went to work with the anti-kick chain, and using reasonable care, it's
still on there and cutting like a champ while the other brand-new
chain is still in the package, hanging on a nail.  I use the saw for
clearing and for firewood.  Most of what I clear is new-growth
including black cherry up to 8"diameter, autumn olive which grows
multiple 4-6" trunks on a single stump, and a variety of smaller stuff
mostly including multiflora rose.  It's sometimes hard to keep the
chain out of the dirt with this kind of work but I'm not exactly a
beginner.  Let's see, it's coming up on two years old or is it three?
 Nah, two years.  The original, anti-kick, "inferior" chain has never
even been sharpened!  I am totally serious.  Aside from dropping stuff
I've also cut perhaps 3-4 cords of firewood with it to-date.  I am
sure Oregon makes a fine chain, but this Stihl chain literally amazes
me.  And it's the one that wasn't supposed to cut very well!  I can
hardly wait to try the other chain.

Steve O.