[AT] While we're on the subject of generators

Dave Merchant kosh at ncweb.com
Mon Oct 6 13:21:02 PDT 2008

There have been many threads about this over the years,
especially about wiring a detached barn or using a generator.

By NEC code, Ground and Neutral are to be tied together at only
one point, the Main service panel, and kept separated elsewhere.

This is to prevent load sharing between Ground + Neutral
conductors, and also prevents "Ground Loops", which can
resonate + cause RFI.

Note that if you buy a new panel, it comes with a green screw,
packed loose, which is to be installed to bond Ground + Neutral
when this is a Main panel, but not if it's a branch subpanel.

Correct application for outbuildings and portable gensets
are unfortunately at the whim of the inspector.

Some other parts of the world are weird, they switch Neutral
along with the Hot phases. There is some odd logic about this,
but doesn't make any sense to most US electrical people.

Dave Merchant