[Farmall] newbie questions

szabelsk at gdls.com szabelsk at gdls.com
Fri Oct 3 08:57:18 PDT 2008

If we were able to post a sketch or drawing to the site, I could show why
a wide front would be more stable then a narrow front end.  Suffice it to
say that given a center of gravity, the further away the front wheels are
from that center of gravity, the further you have to lift one of the front
wheels off of the ground in order to get the center of gravity to pass
over the other front wheel. Once the center of gravity passes over the
other front wheel, the tractor will roll.  This also would apply if you
start to lift one of the rear wheels. As soon as the center of gravity
passes over the other rear wheel, the tractor will roll. The question
becomes how much wider apart are the front wheels than the rear wheels,
and which is leaving the ground first, front or back, and by how much.

Basically if you could spread the front wheels apart so that they were 20
feet apart and spread the rear wheels apart so that they were 20 feet
apart, you'd have a pretty stable tractor and would have to really get one
of the tires pretty high off of the ground before you'd roll the tractor.

You can also do the same analysis going from front to rear and rear to
front. It's all a matter of getting the center of gravity to pass over the
center of the tire on the opposite end of the wheel that's being lifted.
When you drive on an incline you've basically already raised your tires
off of the ground, since the center of the tire is higher than it would be
on level ground. That's why you have to be careful of the incline angle.
The steeper the incline the less it takes to overcome the center of
gravity.

As an example, I regularly cut the grass in the ditch in front of our
house with our Cub. I've  done this for years and never had any problem
with an indication of the Cub wanting to roll.  I always drive such that
the engine is towards the road and away form the ditch, this keeps the
center of gravity towards the road due to the offset engine. The weight of
the mowing deck also lowers the total center of gravity of the Cub. Well
this spring I took the snow blade off of the Cub to put the mowing deck
on, but decided to do some minor adjustment on the carb and governor.
After I did, I took the Cub for a ride down the road for a test run. On
the way back I decided to pick up the mail and pulled over to the side of
the road and had the front left wheel into the ditch, angled into the
road. A large gravel hauler was coming down the road and I pulled forward
a little to give him plenty of room. That's when I rolled the Cub into the
ditch. I had the engine on the ditch side, and didn't have the weight of
the mowing deck on the Cub. Therefore my center of gravity was closer to
the front left wheel and further into the ditch, as well as the center of
gravity being higher off of the ground since I didn't have the mowing deck
mounted. Same ditch I'd driven plenty of times without any problems. Just
facing the opposite direction with nothing that helped lower the center of
gravity.  Since then I've mowed the same ditch all this summer, driving
with the engine towards the road side and with the mowing deck mounted.
Again, no indication the Cub wanted to roll.

Carl Szabelski

This is an e-mail from General Dynamics Land Systems. It is for the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and privileged information.  No one else may read, print, store, copy, forward or act in reliance on it or its attachments.  If you are not the intended recipient, please return this message to the sender and delete the message and any attachments from your computer. Your cooperation is appreciated.