[AT] Off Topic - EdenPure - Infrared Portable Heater

Roy Morgan k1lky at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 2 20:20:59 PDT 2008

On Oct 2, 2008, at 4:05 PM, LeRoy Price III wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone on the list hs any experience with these
> and if they have an opinion of them? Do they do what they say they
> are suppose to do?

They would most likely do most of what the claims are, but don't be
duped:

A thousand watts of heat are a thousand watts of heat. Whether it
comes from a "sunny faced glow" thing (the glowing hot copper dish
thing outlawed many decades ago) or ten hundred watt lamps, or wires
in your floor, or one fancy four hundred dollar gadget.

Fast starting is likely useless (how fast to you NEED to begin to warm
a room?)
Not able to start a fire it likely a great thing.
Being very quiet might be good.  (Those radiator like things don't
make noise either.)
Not reducing humidity or oxygen is common to all such types of heat
(*relative* humidity will go down if the air is warmed.  And the
oxygen is used at the electric generating plant, not at your house.)
Saves more money is likely a fallacy, if it uses the same amount of
electricity.  (Maybe they mean that the oil you don't use costs more
now than before.)

Note: if you put an amount of heat into a room, it doesn't matter what
form of heat the gadget uses to do  it: infrared, convection, radiated
visible light, whatever.  The end result is pretty much the same.

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky at earthlink.net
529 Cobb St.