[Farmall] gas in oil

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Oct 1 04:28:24 PDT 2008

The problem with the Cub hydraulic pump is that the O ring in front
hardens over time and actually begins to grind a groove in the pump
shaft. That is when fluid starts getting pumped into the engine. If you
catch it early enough, you can just lightly polish the shaft and replace
the O ring. But if the groove is too deep, there is nothing that can be
done (as far as I know). There is not enough room for a Speedi-sleeve,
and replacement parts are not available - you just have to replace the
pump, which is an expensive proposition. This is based on my experience
with three of my Cubs - two pumps were successfully repaired, but the
other was beyond help.

And, by the way, I cannot think of any way that gas could get into the
oil pan on a C-60 engine - I have to agree with others that you must be
seeing hydraulic fluid. The quickest way to check is to monitor the
level of the hydraulic fluid in the Touch-Control unit.

Mike