[AT] plows

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 18:30:25 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 8:41 PM, John Hall <jthall at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Thanks guys. I see the point of less contact allowing the soil to roll over.
>
> John Hall
============================

Around here slat moldboards were mostly sold for what we called
"gumbo" soil. Some called it black muck. It not only pulled very hard
but there was a sort of a suction that formed where the moldboard
curved the most. We had an Allis dealer that sold a lot of them. Not
many others did. I assumed he liked to sell them because they pulled
easier in general even though they didn't wear as well as a full
moldboard and in some sandy soils were a little prone to snag
cornstalks.
-
I have a Ford sub-soiler that has a mole. It is a ball but I have also
seen them that were shaped more like a stumpy cigar. Mine is not
attached right now since it about doubles the pull to use it if you
are running deep. It does do a good job of leaving open drainage
channels as long as you have a lower area to drain to. A couple of
Diana's brothers borrow my sub-soiler about every year to do their
gardens.  If you get the soil moisture right (fairly dry) it will
really shatter and lift soil when you run it deep. If you try to use
one when it is wet you just cause upside-down compaction in addition
to the tractor tire compaction..

--
"farmer"

"Good clean muck never hurt nobody!!!"
Morris Moulterd

Hay and Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)