[AT] was fly nets now joints

Bruce Moden brucemoden at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 26 00:03:31 PST 2008

Larry,

>From one knee replacement patient to another use all of the professional physical therapy you can get!  I have had mt TKR for 5 years and is is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  But that doesn't come about easily!  I found the most effective therapy was going to a P/T office 2 to 3 times a week along wiith home exercise.  We all have a problem of not pushing ourselves when alone at home, so having someone checking the progress & setting the program is very helpful.  Range of motion is important, the further up to your butt you can get your foot, the more you will be able to do in the future.  The window of opportunity is small, you need to push over the 1st 3 months.  Good luck!  I'm getting to the point of the 2nd one- but after the 1st you have a tendancy to delay as long as possible.
Keep jp the fight!

Bruce M

--- On Mon, 11/24/08, Larry Goss <rlgoss at insightbb.com> wrote:

From: Larry Goss <rlgoss at insightbb.com>
Subject: Re: [AT] was fly nets now joints
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Date: Monday, November 24, 2008, 9:31 PM

I've been that route, Charlie.  Believe me, I know the whole routine, what
you're thinking, what the doctor is saying, what the opinions of your
friends are, and what your fears and concerns are.  I put up with the jelly
stuff for a year.  When I complained to the doctor that it wasn't as
effective as it used to be, his response was something like, "What did you
expect?"

Last month he told me, "You'll know when the time is right."  I
said, "That's the point.  The time is now."  That decision set off
the wildest activity of medical checking and counter-checking I've ever
experienced.  It all started when I flunked my EKG.  I ended up having doctors
mumbling under their breaths about their colleagues expertise, but the bottom
line is that I got a new knee last Tuesday.  By Wednesday morning, I was walking
on the new knee, and exercising to fight the atrophy and disability that is sure
to set in if I don't.

The hospital stay was four days and there were about a dozen people in the same
"class" with new hip and knee replacements.  On Wednesday, there was a
lot of body language among the patients that fairly screamed out, "I'm
not going to do this.  You can't make me do this. and Where's the
closest six-pack and a smoke?"  By Friday afternoon, everyone was walking,
doing their exercises, and looking forward to going home and getting on with
their lives.

I won't bore you with more gory details, but simply repeat what my doctor
told me in October -- You'll know when the time is right.

Larry