[AT] Head gasket question

Robert L. Holtzer rholtzer at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 25 17:48:09 PST 2008

Doug Tallman wrote:
> Bob, they claim it has to do with heat transfer but don't know how you
> would ever prove it. Doug
>

>>> My vague recollection is that the B gasket pattern was
>>> symmetrical so is there some other reason for crimp orientation?  Any
>>> thoughts?  Just curious -- not a challenge!
>>>
>>> Bob Holtzer

I found some Internet discussion re engine combustion heat transfer.
The majority of heat transferred to the engine components (not the
gaseous heat) from combustion is to the head, esp. valves, as is common
knowledge.  This suggests there might be some advantage to having the
compound type gasket with the solid side toward the block as there would
be less rapid temperature change at the block as compared to the head
side.  This might allow better sealing and less strain on the gasket?
Just speculation on my part!

Bob Holtzer