[Farmall] O-12 parts

olmstead at ridgenet.net olmstead at ridgenet.net
Mon Nov 24 18:03:14 PST 2008

Can anyone recommend a good place to have some castings made?  All this
talk about O-12s has resulted in another inquiry regarding O-12 parts, one
that I've been asked before... where to get the air cleaner casting (and
other special parts) for an O-12.

I'm short two or three of these items already, and half the ones I do have
are welded up, so it seems to me that now might be a good time to have
some new ones made up.  I can come up with a good casting to use as a
pattern, although I understand that the original needs to be built up with
Bondo in order to compensate for the shrinkage during casting.  I could
probably handle the machine work (mostly cleanup work on the lathe).

It'd be nice to talk with an outfit that one of you has had dealings with
before instead of just picking a name off the internet.

I can think of at least two parts that I know people need; 3344 DA and
3097 DA.  3344 is the air cleaner top casting for 'regular' -12 series
tractors.  It is a lot different from the F-12 casting.

3097 is the cast iron 'basket' that supports the front end of the engine.
In my experience, at least 80% of them are damaged, on the F-12.  Haven't
dismantled enough O-12s to have a feel for their condition.

Any recommendations?

I almost hate to mention it, but how offensive would it be to have the air
cleaner castings made of aluminum?  I suspect that it might be cheaper to
have aluminum castings made than iron.  And what are the odds of finding
an American foundry?  I don't want to have the castings made in China.

-Karl