[AT] Some ads from the 11/22 Lancaster Farming

Herbert Metz metz-h.b at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 24 02:51:27 PST 2008

If memory serves, these fly nets were constructed of large pieces of
leather couple feet high and several feet long.  The upper part was solid
and was attached to the normal harness with leather straps.  Below this
several inch solid portion the netting was slit; these approx 1/8' on
center slits extended to the bottom.  This allowed good protection from
flies, was very pliable so did not bother mules hide, and provided some
ventilation. We had a set but do not remember seeing them in use. Normal
house flies did not seem to bother that much; we normally had a whip as a
deterent on horse flies.  Dad and Grandpa were very protective of any
livestock, so the whip was not used otherwise. Dad may have snapped it in
the air occasionally but did not have to use it because the two mules were
well trained to reins and verbal commands. You could also deter horseflies
with the loose reins.
This long thread does point out some of the time and work involved in use
of horse (or mule) power. Herb