[AT] N-series Fords and TO-series Fergusons

pga2 at hot1.net pga2 at hot1.net
Wed Nov 12 05:23:39 PST 2008

>From the photos and your description I'd say you stole that tractor!

Phil

----- Original Message -----
>From    : Indiana Robinson <robinson46176 at gmail.com>
Sent    : Wed, 12 Nov 2008 00:14:42 -0500
To      : Antique tractor email discussion group <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Subject : Re: [AT] N-series Fords and TO-series Fergusons

I went down to Bedford, IN this evening to look at a Ferguson TO-20 I
spotted on Craig's-List yesterday.
I ended up buying it for $1600 and will run back down there tomorrow
(Wednesday) to pick it up along with two bush-hogs and a grader blade
included.
It behaved much like a tractor being sold and wouldn't start...   :-)
They had been using it to move a down tree to get to one of the
bush-hogs and it had started running poorly. He commented that the
front end had been jumping up and down as they tried to move the tree
which was caught between a couple of others. He had tried to fix it by
installing new spark plug wires, new distributor cap, rotor etc. He
then decided that it might be the two year old gas in the tank... It
had been parked in their garage for two years.  He was draining it out
when we got there and he put in fresh fuel. It still wouldn't keep
running but I could hear it well enough to ell that it was probably OK
as it ran quietly and smoothly briefly before it stopped. The tank was
full of varnish and I figure that the carb is as well. The tires look
fine and everything else seemed OK. The rear rims have been replaced.
The antifreeze and inside of the radiator were clear and clean. The
radiator looks very good. The engine oil was clean with no water at
all as was the lube in the rear end. The rear axle seals show that
they have leaked in the past and might yet but I didn't see any fresh
oil. Those are pretty easy to replace. The steering feels like new
with no slop anywhere. The right radius rod is bowed which is not
uncommon on one that has been used to bush-hog in a woods. I think my
hydraulic pipe bending press will straighten it OK.
It is missing the two side plates that say Ferguson but they are easy
to get. There are a few dents to be straightened but not bad ones.
I'll take plenty of tools and a carb kit along tomorrow as well as
some carb cleaner. That and a chainsaw to get past that downed tree.
Here is a link to the ad with pictures.
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/913630978.html

--
"farmer"

"Good clean muck never hurt nobody!!!"
Morris Moulterd

Hay and Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson46176 at gmail.com