[Steam-engine] Murray Iron Works

Francis Orr steam.boat at verizon.net
Mon Nov 3 13:31:09 PST 2008

Rick,

Is that what is called the Murray "Schools Engine?" I understand that Murray
put out a small engine for BHP testing in engineering schools. I believe
that Jim Machacek of Northfield, Mn may have one. Walter Clement of
Belvidere, Tn, also may know something about that size engine.

The 100 HP tandem compound, rope drive Corliss at Rollag is a Murray. Do you
have the Rollag video showing it? The video may still be available from
Jerry Swedberg of Hawley, Mn.

I have a "Pamphlet No 7 Nomenclature of Murray Corliss Engines." It just
shows the parts and does not list the sizes. I also have a letter from MIW
to a man in England dated25 March 1953. It was signed by the president J.M.
Goodbar and stated that they no longer manufactured "steam engines?" but did
supply spare parts.

Francis A. Orr
steam.boat at verizon.net