[AT] John Deere 6619T engine

Dean Van Peursem deanvp at att.net
Sat Nov 1 20:53:22 PDT 2008

Roy,

I'm presently traveling between Seattle and Phoenix, AZ currently or I would
have responded earlier. Near Sacramento at the moment. To add a little to
what others have provided here on the list, Almost all of JD's tractors were
horizontal two cylinder tractors starting with the  Waterloo Boy when they
purchased the company to the 1960 model year tractors. They were the models:
Waterloo Boy, GP, D, B, A, G, R, H, 50, 60, 70 80, 520, 620, 720, 820, 530,
630, 730 & 830. Made in the Waterloo, IA  factory. Then there were the
models which were vertical two cylinder models: L, LA, LI, M, 40, 320, 420,
330 & 430. Most made in the Dubuque, IA factory. The 30 series tractors were
the last of the two cylinders made in the US but some additional two
cylinder tractors were built in Mexico and Argentina after that for a short
period of time.  There are some exceptions worthy of note, for example the
JD 435 & 440 wheel tractor which were also built for model year 1959 and 60
using a GM 2-53 Detroit Diesel motor. There are a few other exceptions but
this covers the majority of the models not counting the crawlers, industrial
versions and the super huge tractors.  For model year 1961, but introduced
in 1960, the whole two cylinder line was replaced by the "New Generation"
tractors which were 4 or 6 cylinder vertical engine tractors from both the
Waterloo and Dubuque factories. Not too long after these tractors were
announced, JD became the largest manufacturer of tractors in the US. Many of
the two cylinder competitors disappeared over time and JD is the only
surviving company which hasn't merged with someone else or was purchased by
someone else or gone out of business.  The 1980's finally killed off most of
the other major tractor manufacturers. Some of the other manufacturers had
as good or maybe even better tractors but due to competitive pressures or
company mismanagement, they slowly disappeared.

On the horizontal two cylinders, there is a huge flywheel on the left side
and belt pulley/clutch on the right side. Until electrical starting became
available these horizontal two cylinders were started using this huge
flywheel with magneto ignition. As opposed to a crank on the vertical
engines. There were a huge amount of these two cylinder tractors made and if
my memory serves the Millionth horizontal two cylinder made was a model 60
made in the 1953 model year with 7 more years of horizontal two cylinders
made after that. The production quantity information I'm referencing here
was published in Two Cylinder Magazine a year or so ago and is considered
quite accurate. I'm traveling so am unable to go look it up..

There is a way to identify some of the Waterloo models by counting the
number of bars on the grill but after awhile one can usually pick up the
model by its relative physical size and/or profile. They each have
distinguishing traits. Obviously easier to identify of the decal is showing.

Hope this adds to what others have provided.

Dean Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA