[AT] Thanksgiving Day tractor chores+trees

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Sun Nov 30 12:34:30 PST 2008

    Dean;
    Thanks for sharing your experience. Good to know all had a great time.
    About a month ago, after I got my soybeans off, I decided to cut some of
the bigger trees from my west property line that were too big to take out
with my little dozer. Mostly hackberry trees and encroaching into the
cropland. Neighbor's field was still standing corn, so didn't want any trees
to fall over there.
    All went well until I come to a very large hackberry, about 22" in
diameter and the entire trunk was hollow. I notched the tree to fall to my
field then made the main cut from the back side just a little bit higher
than the notch. Should fall toward the notch, right? Wrong, that tree stood
there perfectly straight and started pinching the chain, so I pulled the saw
out and watched as the saw cut closed and the tree didn't fall. Straight as
a Tennessee hickory. Didn't want to push my luck, so went to the barn and
got the tractor and 3 long chains and strung them together so I would be at
a safe distance and just a very light tug and the tree came down where it
was supposed to be. Those hackberry trees are one tough tree. Had to have
been perfectly balanced.
    I have found the perfect use for hackberry and mulberry trees!!! Fasten
a chain to them and pull them over rough ground. Did a beautiful job
smoothing the ground I cleared in my woods and even rakes over the rocks and
brush.

            Gene