[AT] Horrible harvesting conditions.

Al Jones farmallsupera at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 25 18:44:40 PST 2008

Conditions have to be just right with down corn.  We had some in '99 that
was picked on New Year's Eve.  I forget what storm that blew it down--maybe
floyd?  Anyway the guy that was picking developed serious health problems
had to quit so he could go in the hospital for bypass surgery.  We got a
man from Richlands to come finish, he actually got the beans first and then
went back for the corn.  It looked like a solid thatch feeding into the
combine--and he got near about all of it.

In 2005 it seemed nothing worked.  First the fellow tried a Kelderman Corn
Reel.  It did very little good. Then he borrowed a head with a Corn
Saver--the one that has a gathering chain over and perpendicular to each
snout to feed the crop in.  That was better.  He made some  modifications
to it and finally managed to get done.  What a mess.

On the sand lugs, you are exactly right.  What I meant was, back then you
had to stoop over to get them, now no one bothers because the best is on up
the stalk and farmers "know better."  But what would the old folks say if
they could see it!!!

Al