[AT] WC transmission, dodged a bullet

william.neff.powell at comcast.net william.neff.powell at comcast.net
Mon Nov 24 05:03:11 PST 2008

Hello,

Just posted this on allischalmers.com so delete it if you have already read it on that site...

Just thought I would re-post the content here.

Started my 39 WC to pull my trailer around last week. I usually drive it every two to three months, sometimes more, sometimes less. Pretty cold this year in Southeast Pennsylvania. Saturday I had trouble getting it in reverse, drove it around a while and eventually it engaged... Finished my work and parked it in first.

Yesterday it was colder, got on the WC to move the trailer again and I could not pull the lever out of first. Tried moving forward, load on engine, no movement. Pulled the lever near the seat that disconnects the rear and tried letting the clutch out, load on engine, not movement. Also PTO Shaft would not turn by hand. At that point I knew there was water in the transmission.

Ran the tractor for about an hour with a cover on the radiator, got things warmed up but not in the transmission, still no movement. Got a small propane torch put it on low and had it torch the bottom drain plug for about and hour. PTO shaft would turn, shifter came out of first. Moved the tractor and drove it around a little bit and then took out the drain plug... Whoosh, about 1 gallon of water came flowing out. After the rush of water brown thick oil that looked like taffy slowly flowed out. After two hours the oil was still working its way out.

I have heard about WC's busting the PTO gear box, and now I can see why. I don't think the water got in there through condensation, thought that can happen. The WC sits outside and is mostly tarped. Two years ago I did pull the PTO plug and it had beautiful gear lube, no water. I have recently replaced the rubber shifting boot and most of the water probably came in with the old one. But, I can see that water could run down the shift lever and trickle down through the reverse mechanism....

If the temperature had gotten a little lower I believe something would have cracked. So, if you live in a cold environment and your WC stays outside, you may want to pull the plug and see what comes out...

Regards, Will Powell
Pottstown, PA