[AT] Windbreaker out of storage

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Sun Nov 23 05:01:41 PST 2008

 Windbreakers have been mentioned a few times on the list over the past
winters. There a 4 of them here and none have been used since around
'90---until now. The real farming shut down on our place in '91 and we just
haven't had to spend extended periods outside where a windbreaker would be
an advantage, until this week. Soybeans were really late this year so we are
late planting wheat. With temps around 40 and 30mph wind gusts it has been
downright miserable. (if you are north of the Mason-Dixon line that is
probably a heat wave). Anyway, we dug out the windbreaker for the JD 4020
and away we went. I never realized until now that you actually get a LOT of
warm air from the engine. I thought those things only kept the wind off of
you. Since the tractor ran pretty much "cool" (not a lot of load pulling a
drill) and we only tached out around 1500, it never got hot. But I could
definetly see where under tillage it could get almost hot riding the
tractor. I also learned no-till drills don't work worth a cuss if the gound
is slightly frozen--the dirt breaks in chunks. We pretty much only get 5-6
hours of drilling time due to this.

 Wonder if anyone ever made windbreakers for combines with no cabs?

John Hall