[AT] Fergie TO-20 running.

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 18:46:27 PST 2008

I finally got a chance to do a little work on the Fergie and got it
running. I was going to use it to pull some Scouts in a parade but
didn't get it done in time. I kept running into different little
problems and some weird stuff too.
I must have had the carburetor apart 6 times and finally got a rebuild
kit for it and went through it
one more time and found one tiny blockage I had missed. I also put in
new spark plugs. The PO had installed a rotor, dist cap and plug
wires. The PO had drained the old gas out and replaced it. Funny thing
about the gas... For a while I could not get it to fire at all. Son
Scott was helping me and he ran a little of it out in a little can. He
tried to light it with a striker like we use to light LP torches and
gas welders. He was working it and the sparks were falling into the
gasoline but not lighting it. Some of this gas they are
selling now is awful...  I drained it all out including the carb and
put new gas in again
and it started firing immediately. I'm still having some minor
problems from the gunk in the fuel tank but that will go away when get
the tank off and have it cleaned by a local radiator shop that offers
that service. I was quite pleased with the way it ran and drove. I had
forgotten how much I had liked the one we had years ago. The tranny
was all quite smooth and quiet as was the clutch. It steers like a
dream for something with manual steering. I took it down the road to
warm it up and it stopped completely. I had to take the fuel line
loose at the carb and cupping my hand around it I blew back through it
to clear away gunk in the tank and it ran OK after that.
"Now" the engine is quiet and smooth and has good oil pressure. I
could see no blowby or no exhaust smoke at all.
There is a lot I want to do to it but for now I just need to have it
serviceable so I can use it to load some tornado logs to haul home
from the woods in the next county. I can use it with the 3 point boom
to load and use the Farmall Super M with the loader to unload on this
end.
I picked up my new little Wood-mizer mill Yesterday and it is still on
the truck. I'm going to try sitting it up across one end of my wood
shop. I'll use an extra dust collector blower to pull the exhaust away
with a flex hose kind of like they do at indoor tractor pulls. It is
the smallest mill they make now, model LT-10.
http://www.woodmizer.com/us/sawmills/manual/lt10/lt10.aspx
I bought  it with one 7' bed extension so I can cut up to 18' long
stuff mostly for rafters etc. It should serve my needs well. I have
looked for some time and the more I look at this mill the more I am
impressed with its workmanship. I used to own a much larger bandsaw
mill a number of years ago so I was already familiar with what I was
looking for in a mill. I'm going to just be milling for myself but I
may cut some heavy fireplace mantles etc. to help pay expenses.

Question...
I was wondering how many folks on this list own TO series Fergies and
N series Fords???
Put me down for one.   :-)

"farmer"

"Good clean muck never hurt nobody!!!"
Morris Moulterd

Hay and Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)