[AT] N-series Fords and TO-series Fergusons

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 15:01:50 PST 2008

I decided this week that it was time to find a decent if not shiny 9N,
2N, 8N, NAA or a TO-20, To-30 or TO-35 Ferguson tractor. I grew up
with such tractors and wish I had them all back now.
I have been pleasantly surprised because I figured I would have a bear
of a time finding one with decent sheet metal, sound tires and the
important stuff working within my straining budget. I have looked at
several already that would serve OK ranging in price from $900 to
$1800. Around here they have always sold just silly. I suppose the
proliferation of imported 20 to 40 HP tractors with such things as
power steering and live PTO has taken them off of the wish list of
small property owners who are not normally collectors but just want
something small to mow with.
I want one, well, just because I want one...   :-)
I plan to use it with several implements that I already own but can't
use as well on any of my other tractors.
I have a very good Danhauser post hole digger. It is the one that has
the very complex linkages.
I also have a good Dearborn slip scoop and a smallish 3 point
carry-all. I also have an original Ford 2 row rear cultivator and a 3
point fork-lift/bale mover as well as an original Ferguson rear blade
and a Ford 3 point lift boom.
Those little tractors are also extremely handy for bale wagons etc.
and are about the most easy thing going (among antique tractors) for
when you are doing small jobs that require a lot of climbing on and
off all day. I sure can't make that statement about my Yanmar 1500
diesel or my Allis C.
I placed a bid on a nice (shiny even) TO-30 Ferguson on Ebay today
using AuctionSniper but since nobody raised my $1525 bid it never
climbed up enough to meet the seller's reserve.
BTW, I did move quickly past the Ebay 8N that had a "buy it now" price
of $13,000.
:-)
I did notice that it didn't have any bids...
Tomorrow I start hanging plastic in the farm shop to divide it into
heated and unheated sections and so I will not be heating half of the
township. It will take a half day just to move all of the extra stuff
(like lawn tractors) out and a batch of odd stuff over into the
unheated section and to other buildings. I will actually have room to
square dance in there if I wanted  too. After a lousy decade+ things
are coming together well now. It must be time for something to go
badly wrong...
:-)
Gotta go feed the horses.

"farmer"

"Good clean muck never hurt nobody!!!"
Morris Moulterd

Hay and Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)