[AT] Ford F250 Diesel makes steam. UH - OH !!!

Roy Morgan k1lky at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 9 21:20:00 PST 2008

Stephen,

Thanks for the info, sorry for slow reply. I was off line for a while.

Bottom line on the truck is the EGR cooler had a leak (Very common -
Ford redesigned the part). Needed a new starter. $3000 later the truck
is fine!

> Er, just because it didn't come with one, doesn't mean you can't go
> out and get yourself a book.

The truck repair guys ordered me one - (can't remember the cost cause
I'm still in shock over the total bill.) But the owners manual comes
from some third party publisher (not Ford directly) and will be here
in a day or three.

> Another alternative is AlldataDIY.com.

I'l check them out.  At least I can learn what the engine is about
from them.

>  ... It has troubleshooting trees

The quick procedure for testing for cracked EGR coolers is to remove
the EGR valve (conveniently located on top of the engine), jack up the
back of the truck a foot or two, and see if coolant is running where
it should not.  (It appears that the electrically run valve causes
exhaust gas to be recycled at some times and not at other times.)

> ... Many (most?) problems on
> modern vehicles simply cannot be solved by a shadetree DIY'er unless
> he is armed with accurate information.

AND test tools and fixtures.  The shop guys apparently broke a little
plastic tab that holds the valve cover-fumes-to-intake-connection
hose. They used a vacuum test kit to find where the leak was causing a
loud whistle.  Two plastic tabs hold the fitting with it's 7/8 inch o-
ring in place.  Just below the coolant reservoir.

> ... An EGR cooler is a heat exchanger that cools the
> exhaust gas before it is recirculated to the intake.

Yup I saw my busted part. May ask for it back to do an autopsy on it.
The leaks occur inside the thing and can't be seen.  Stainless tubes
all welded together.

>  Ahhh, the hidden downside of diesel ownership.  Parts and repairs,
> when you do finally need them, are expen$$ive.

Yes in deed.  By the way, the garage that did the work lifted the cab
by 6 inches to get at the engine area to be worked on.  I hope this
truck runs for a long time with no more repairs such as this.

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky at earthlink.net
529 Cobb St.