[AT] Cat 416 backhoe

Bruce Fallon bfallon at whidbey.com
Sun Nov 2 15:28:33 PST 2008

Anyone familiar with a Caterpillar 416 backhoe.  I have a 1986 with the
Perkins Diesel and 4 speed with torque converter and shuttle.  It has been
slow to engage forward for sometime now, reverse is immediate, but changing
to forward was a delay upto 5 - 10 seconds.  Last week no forward at all.
Reverse works fine.  I looked at the shifter valve on top of the
transmission but no help.  I am afraid it is the clutch pack.  Any other
ideas or knowledge about these things?  Anyone know of another group that
deals with these type of tractors.   I use this around my house and my sons
place and hate to think of transmission repair costs.

1953 Allis Chalmers CA  2 of them
1953  Minneapolis Moline U
1950 Huber Maintainer
1954 Chevy PU