[AT] Fram Filter C-1151PB and changing 3pt Backhoe Fluid

william.neff.powell at comcast.net william.neff.powell at comcast.net
Fri May 30 07:57:25 PDT 2008

I believe it takes a long time for the water to settle out. Plus on my backhoe there is no drain plug at the bottom of the tank. (Maybe I should put one in) The tank is mostly rectangular but the bottom is a wedge. The filter attaches about halfway up the wedge.

My Allis HD6G has a bunch of water in its system... I pulled the plug after about 3 months of inactivity... It was cold out... White oil came out, numbing my hand, lost about 4 gallons of fluid before I could get the plug back in! Not a great day... Was thinking that I will fabricate a plug with a petcock so I can see if water will come out from time to time....

But, again, I have heard that heating the oil will speed up the separation. My father the engineer that specialized in vacuum technology wanted to fabricate a process that he used on the machines he manufactured. The oil would be heated and then pumped into a vacuum vessel, the vacuum would suck the water out.... It would work, but I'm not keen about heating oil in an enclosed tank... Just going to heat the oil in a safe open place where I can't trip and plunge my hand into it.... Maybe weld a small outlet valve on the bottom of the bucket to let the water out if it settles on the bottom.

To get the oil out I will pump clean in, save the contaminated stuff coming out and keep removing the water until it runs clean.

Regards,

Will Powell (PA)
From: Doug Tallman <dtallman at accnorwalk.com>