[AT] Hydraulic Hose Crimper

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Thu May 15 22:26:15 PDT 2008

Lew,

You asked "Where can you get hose & fittings for a reasonable price?"

I am sure the word "reasonable" is debatable but Force America (Phone
888-99FORCE)  at www.forceamerica.com sells all things hydraulic (I have no
connection with them other than an out of date catalogue).

For example, their catalogue lists 1/2" high-pressure hose (3,500 #
recommended working pressure) at $4.22 per foot.  Their rigid 1/2" fittings
with 1/2" pipe threads list at $5.17 each.

Looking at the prices in this catalogue for already made up hose assemblies
I think the guy you mentioned has a point.  For example, a 24" high-pressure
1/2" hose with 1/2" pipe fittings on each end shows a price of $10.21.
If you bought 2 feet of their hose and two fittings you'd be in at nearly 19
bucks.  So, if you forget the tool cost, making your' own hose is probably
cheaper than buying from your' local hydraulic shop but it appears to be
much more expensive than buying a made up unit.  Of course, if you need a
very specific length of hose or a special fitting on either or both ends
then buying a ready made unit is probably not an option.

Dudley