[AT] Allis Chalmer B

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Wed May 14 05:02:11 PDT 2008

Tom, the guys are giving you good advice.  You seem like a novice so I'm
going to add a couple of details for safety sake.  If you try to hand crank
the tractor only pull up on the crank.  What I mean is position the crank so
that it is at the bottom and with your right hand pull the crank up to the
top.  That way if it kicks it will pull the crank out of your hand and your
pulling motion will take you up out of the way of the crank handle when it
flies back around.  It's nothing to be scared of if you do it right.  If you
do it wrong you might wind up with a broken wrist or something.

Towing the tractor to start it is a good idea.  Just remember that your B
will only go about 5 mph and you don't need to pull it anywhere near that
speed.  It just needs to move slowly.  Don't let the person doing the towing
get carried away.  About 1 or 2 mph is fine.  Also you won't need to tow if
more than a few feet.  If it doesn't start in the length of your driveway
there's no need to tow it down the highway.   Use a long chain or tow strap.
It'll give you time to stop or steer away from your tow vehicle.

Given what you have told us you'd probably be wise to find a friend that
knows a little something about working on old cars or tractors.  It might
save you a lot of grief.
If an AC B is properly tuned it starts very easily.  I think John was the
one who asked you if you'd ever seen this tractor run.  That's a good
question.  You might have some engine problems that require some knowledge
to fix.

Give us the details.  We'll talk you through it.

Charlie