[AT] Need another nut :-)

Brad Gunnells brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu
Mon May 5 13:17:10 PDT 2008

Ok, first off I'm cheap and do things in a redneck way some times
(just ask my wife!).

Would it be possible (providing you can't find a shorter castle nut)
to thread that on a bolt upside down (so the castle prongs are
towards the bolt head) and cut off the desired amount to shorten it?
By putting it on like this you could probably clamp it in a vice and
use a hacksaw or sawzall though the cut would be difficult to keep
square. Or if you put some type of stock on each side possibly get it
in the vice of a band saw or a chop saw. Of course the latter options
would require a good firm method of clamping to be sure the object
remains in the saw.

Then you should be able to twist the bolt through the castle nut to
make sure the threads are smooth and ready to thread on the spindle.

Given the size I'm assuming it goes on something like a tie rod.
You're calling it a spindle nut so if it truly goes on a spindle to
hold bearings in place I'm not sure if this would be an option.

Just a wild idea to throw out.

Brad