[AT] Fram Filter C-1151PB and changing 3pt Backhoe Fluid

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Sat May 31 08:54:39 PDT 2008

Keep in mind the old principle of cleaning contamination in glassware for
chemical use.  Split your solvent and only use a fraction of it at a time.
Don't use all your solvent in the first rinse!  Drain your hydraulic system
the best you can and then add only enough new oil to the tank to get some
flow - maybe only two gallons on a 10 gallon system.  Run at low engine
speeds and exercise cylinders a few times and drain again.  Do this one or
more times until the oil in the tank has the good look of oil and not milky.
When you are happy, fill the tank the rest of the way and go back to work.
In this case the new hydraulic oil is the solvent and you don't want to use
a lot of it cleaning up the old crap.  I don't mind (at least not too much)
sacrificing a few gallons of HyTran, but two new buckets is currently cost
abusive.

One more thing - not all oils are equal in their ability to hold water and
lubricate at the same time - or so the Case IH dealer tells me - the meta
message is to stop using that cheap TSC oil, you will regret it in the oong
run -- many stories of how much better and cheaper the repairs to torque
amplifiers are when a good oil has been used.

Carl Gogol - Manlius, NY
Tasty grazing in the Oran valley of Central NY
AC D14, 914H
JD 5320 MFWD
Kubota F-2400, B7300HST
Simplicity 7116H, 3112H