[AT] OT - Hard drive recovery services

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Thu May 29 20:55:08 PDT 2008

Mike wrote:
> Hi all, Has anyone used a data recovery service to pull data off a
> failed hard drive? I was pointed to a local place that charges $95 to
> evaluate then $300 to $1800 depending on the difficulty. I found some
> companies online that will evaluate free then offer a firm quote to
> recover the data. If thy cannot recover the data, no charge. Anyone
> have experience with this? Thanks, Mike

Depending on what failed on the drive you might be able to recover it
yourself. Try installing it in a USB enclosure and see if that will read
it. I have a few that I have done that with.

I have also sent a few out that had data that other folks had to have.
Not cheap but if you need the data they generally can get it. If the
problem is a bad board you could look for a replacement drive like it
and try using the board on it. If it failed due to internal damage then
they can probably pull the platters and use a different drive to read them.

--
Steve Williams