[AT] respirators and Isocyanates (Urethane paint)

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Fri Mar 28 07:07:47 PDT 2008

This whole issue is why I have started using water based acrylic paints on a
lot of our industrial work (when I have the option to choose the paint).
They are a bit different to work with but do nice work with NO VOC's
(volitile organic compounds).  I don't know if these paints are available
yet for automotive type applications.  I'm tempted to get some tinted to
Persian Orange #1 and try it on some tractor parts.  I've used it on
structural steel and it gives a very nice, slick, shiny finish and is very
durable once it has a few days to cure but I'm not sure it's automotive
quality in appearance.  The first time I used this stuff was over 15 years
ago on the exterior surfaces of a steel construction package sewer plant.  I
go by every now and then to take a look at it.  It's still slick and shiny.

Charlie