[AT] respirators and Isocyanates (Urethane paint)

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Sun Mar 23 12:58:19 PDT 2008

John Wilkens wrote:
> Thought it's about time I got serious about tractor painting and my
> health!   Can anyone suggest an affordable air-supplied face
> mask/hood that I could hook up to my air supply?  I'm starting to do
> a lot more painting with catalyzed paint (mostly acrylic urethanes)
> and I don't have a multi gazzillion dollar vented paint
> booth.....just an empty wood shed.....until the weather get good
> enough for outside painting.  The more I read about the nasty
> isocyanates in paint catylists the more I think I'd better protect my
> lungs!  Looking for ideas.       John W.
>
>                     In the wide-open spaces of NE Oregon

You will NOT want to directly connect it to your current air supply.

Get one of the filtration/regulator breathing air rigs and mount it on
the wall.

http://snipurl.com/22ffc  [www3_3m_com]

Or buy one that can connect to your belt and supplies spraying air AND
breathing air.

http://www.bullard.com/Respiratory/air_respirators/index.shtml

I use Devilbiss unit with a self contained turbine compressor. It uses
an activated carbon filter and sits outside the spray area as well.

Or if you want a different system get a hold of a firefighter and see if
you can get a retired SCBA unit and connect the regulator and mask up
using one of the filter units to clean the air.
If you were closer I'd ship you one of the Inter-Spiro units we have. We
have two of them that came from a chemical plant. They have NEVER been
used other than practice. They use a special plastic backpack, great for
chemicals, but not great to wear in a fire!

--
Steve Williams
Firefighter,EMT