[AT] Got a question about a Hercules engine

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun Mar 23 06:31:06 PDT 2008

Yesterday I got the Hercules QXLD-5 engine started on the Hollingsworth
generator I bought a year ago.  This generator was supposed to be sold
to a fellow close to here, but he was not in any hurry to pick it up,
and since I lost money on it, I was not in a big hurry to spend any more
on it.   I finally got the starter that would crank the engine, I went
through about 20 starters before I found the correct drive for it.  We
overhauled it earlier this year with rings and gaskets  paying careful
attention to the correct alignment of the rods and pistons when we went
back together.

Well I started it and it had a knock in it.  It ran about 2 minutes and
then broke out a spot on the side of the block at the number 6 rod about
the size of my hand.  It still ran and did not knock then.  This is the
first time in 40 years of mechanic work I have had this happen and it
had to happen on one of the hardest engines to find a replacement for.
I really do not know whether to scrap the whole generator or what.  A
friend has an old gleaner combine with a Hercules engine on it for
$500.  This generator  has a sae2 bell housing so it will have to be a
qx series engine to fit the bell housing to drive the generator or I
have to do a bunch of machine work on an adapter.

I can only guess that this engine was overhauled ( government surplus )
and put in storage outside and stuck up without running and someone got
the rod turned the wrong way from the piston.  We paid a lot of
attention to getting the pistons back the direction they were supposed
to go and did not take the rods off the pistons, so they had to be back
the way they were took out.  Gaskets are a fortune for this thing so I
really do not want to do a lot of work on it.  The rings were $250.....
Gaskets are $100 a set for the head set.  I am thinking about patching
the block with a metal patch if possible.

This was the last project I had started since I retired a year ago.
Every project I have worked on since retirement has taken 4 times longer
than expected and I have lost tons of money on every one.

Does anyone have any experience with hercules 6 cyl engines?  I really
wonder why the rod was hitting the side of the block.....  I had a young
felow helping me who is wanting to learn mechanic work and he is very
careful about checking things and I checked out everything he did before
we put the pan back on.

If I get this one out the door, there is never going to be another
hercules engine on this place.....

BTW
I hope you all enjoy a great Easter Sunday with your family.

Cecil in OKla