[AT] Part time trailer puller fuel system

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Mon Mar 17 18:13:30 PDT 2008

Charlie  I realize you were just joking with Farmer but boy did you ever
tell the truth in respect to computerized engines.  Here's my story about
that.

My 89 GMC (relatively primative throttle body injection system) was only
about 4 years old and maybe 130,000 miles or so when it developed a hitch,
sputter and pop at a steady speed.  After a while I figured out that it only
happened with the cruise control set.  I couldn't find the problem and a
couple of mechanic friends couldn't find it.  It kept getting worse and
eventually I just stopped using the cruise control.  That worked for a while
but then the problem started under all driving conditions without the cruise
control.  I messed with it for over a year.  Several mechanics looked at it
and couldn't find the problem.  I finally decided to get serious about
finding it myself.  I bought every after market manual I could find for it,
took my multi-meter and went to work trying to find the sensor problem that
would fix it.  Nothing worked.  I finally realized that none of the manuals
I had addressed the cruise control system.

At the time there was a small local Chevy dealer in the next county that was
owned by a man I knew and the shop  was run by his son.  I went to them and
explained the problem.  They let me go in the shop with their tech and tell
him what I had done while he looked for the problem.  I kept telling him he
needed to look at the cruise system.  He told me he would but to let him
work through the rest first.  I patiently waited and watched while he tested
and replaced sensors and modules.  Luckily for me when they didn't fix the
problem he took them back off and put them back in stock.

After an hour or so I told him again he needed to check the reference
voltage and grounds on the cruise control.  I had figured out from
somewhere, posibly online, that might be the problem but as I said before I
didn't have a manual with the data.  Finally he went over to his manual and
started reading about the cruise control.  He came back, pulled the wire
harness off of the cruise module and checked the resistance between a lug in
the cruise module and a ground that attached to a stud in the thermostat
housing.  I saw a glimmer in his eye!  He took a box end wrench and
tightened down on the stud and checked the resistance again.  We took it
down the road and the problem was gone.

Ok here is the post mortum as we figured it out.  At that point I remembered
that I had changed the thermostat at some point in time prior to the problem
starting.  The housing was held to the manifold by studs.  The holes were
drilled through into the water jacket in the intake.
The stud with the ground wire had a double nut to tighten the ground.  The
ground wire was a bit short and when I tightened it I was fussing with
getting it tight without breaking the ground wire.  I had the nuts tight on
the ground and the stud but the stud was just a bit loose in the intake.
Less than a quarter turn but that was enough to let, over time, some
antifreeze seep in around the threads on the stud.  That seepage had thrown
the resistance on that ground wire out of spec.  It had a ground but not as
good as it needed.  That was the entire problem.  It took nearly 2 years,
several hundred dollars in changed out parts while other mechanics tried to
fix it and a bunch of wasted gasoline because it was running so poorly.  The
solution, ..... just as Farmer said.... Check the grounds and check them
really good.

Charlie