[AT] Strange way to give you auction information

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Sun Mar 16 23:30:51 PDT 2008

Reminds me of an auction company around here that finally went out of
business due to the health of the auctioneer.  I'm sorry for him but glad
he's out of business.

I went to one of his sales a few years back.  It was a bankruptsy auction
for a boat manufacturer.  Folks were there from all up and down the east
coast wanting to buy the equipment and materials.  This idiot auctioneer
starts the sale off up in the front shop near the office where he has a
whole pallet of boxes of those clear plastic notebook page covers you can
put pictures in.  He's trying to sell them one pack, not one box or the
whole pallet but ONE PACK at a time.  "give me a dollar and let's go".  He
persisted with that for 5 or 10 minutes still trying to coax the crowd to
give him a dollar and go.  There was a guy standing near me from Maine who
had flown his private plane down for the sale.  I had talked to him.  He had
a shop where he hand built a few boats a year and he really wanted some of
the equipment.  He was in work clothes and his hands were very rough and
permanently dirty.  He complained to the autioneer to move on to something
someone wanted to buy, as did others.  The auctioneer just kept on plugging
away at the office junk.  The guy finally shouted out, is there anyone here
that would give me a ride to the airport.  I was going to offer but about
half a dozen folks beat me to it.  We all left.

That is an extreme example but all of his sales were just as bad.  I asked
him about it once and he claimed the bankruptsy lawyer made him do it that
way.  I don't believe it for a minute.  He had a whole warehouse full of
stuff that "wouldn't sell" that he tried to retail.  I think he was looking
out for himself and not his client or customer.  Seems like this guy is
doing the same.

Charlie