[AT] List trafic fires and other off topic stuff

Len Rugen rugenl at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 13 19:03:44 PDT 2008

Not spring, it's raining and I'm replying to my own thread....

I didn't figure he would prank me, he was my landlord, but he was getting
older and I wondered if it was something he had just heard.  The farm
version of an urban legend.

We were driving home and there was a lot of glow in the sky.  When we got to
our exit there were grass brush fires along the interstate for about 4
miles.  Apparently a truck was either throwing sparks or burning tire parts
and started several fires.  There is about a mile of farmland between the
interstate and another blacktop and one nice farmstead was being threatened.
When the fire got out of the brush to the fields, they took after it with a
HUGE 8 wheel tractor and a 30+ ft disk.  It was big enough that they could
keep the tractor out of the fire but get it with the disk.  They made QUICK
work of about about 1/2 mile of fireline.

My grandfather ran a steam engine and threshed in the spring.  He had
stories about burning strawpiles, some on purpose, some accidental.