[AT] dumb question

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Tue Mar 11 00:27:06 PDT 2008

John,

Technically it's the generator and not the regulator that may need to be
polarized.  But, be that as it may, in the case you've described I would
certainly do it.  And No it does not matter whether it is a six or twelve
volt system.

As mentioned above it is the generator that gets polarized but the
polarization can usually be done most easily at the regulator.  I am
guessing there are several terminals on your' regulator but there are only
two that you need to be concerned about for polarization - one terminal will
be labeled something like B or BATT (which connects the battery output to
the regulator) and the other terminal will be labeled something like G or
Gen or O (which connects the generator output to the regulator).  Simply
take a short wire/conductor and short these two terminals together but only
for a moment (e.g., split second).

Good luck -

Dudley
Snohomish, Washington