[AT] JD 318 head bolts

Claudeprintequip at aol.com Claudeprintequip at aol.com
Sat Mar 8 08:46:17 PST 2008

I have used a small hand held propane torch to heat steel bolts in aluminum
then tap the bolt head with a ball peen.  They seem to free up pretty  well
after that. How hot should the bolt be?  The guy who taught me  said they need
to be "Just about right".(??)  I never did try to get one  very hot, just hot.
It doesn't take a lot of heat to melt aluminum.    Since your bolt heads are
gone you might try heating the bolt end then peening a  center into the broken
bolt with a punch.   Then drill a hole in the  bolt and try a bolt extractor.
Never did this with a JD 318.  Doesn't  look like you'll loose anything but
some time by giving it a try.
Disclaimer:   Friendly ideas carry no warranty.  (grin)

Claude