[AT] Ethanol

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 08:44:46 PDT 2008

Hi Steve,
    I was wondering if this wasn't the issue. Here in the Southwest,
we don't have the humidity to deal with that some other folks do. My
job when going to electronics school was as a mechanic for a lawn
service fleet. I've never seen the professional lawn service crews use
anything but the cheapest fuel available and I've never run anything
but 87 octane either. What I've seen has been that there are multiple
grades of 2-stroke equipment.

The bottom end of the string trimmer line has a curved driveshaft
going to the head and no clutch in the drive assembly. They are made
as cheaply as possible and it shows in longevity. They seem to retail
for about $80 and last about a year.

The step up (the ones I've bought) have straight drive shafts and a
geared head out on the end. They also have a centrifugal clutch (there
are some that don't and they're in the $80 category, IMHO). The carbs
have a fuel bulb for priming. I've had rather good luck with these.
The first one I bought lasted me 11 years before I couldn't keep it
running right. I never took the carb apart; just put gas and line in
it and ran it. After 11 years I tried a carb kit but the fuel lines
and tank were breaking down so I set it on the shelf and bought a new
one of the same type. The first one was a Ryobi, the second is a
Bolens 31 CC BL250 from Lowes and cost about $110 a couple years back.
They're the same model with different stickers, probably made by MTD
or Yard Machines. Starting is usually pretty easy; fill the tank, pump
the bulb about 5 times, put the choke on full, pull the rope about 3
times until the engine sneezes, move to half choke and pull it again.
It will be running; let it warm up a bit, advancing the throttle until
the choke is limiting it. Move the choke to off and go to work.

The top shelf units like Echo, Husky and probably Stihl are also of a
better grade. I've seen quite a few of the Echo units in commercial
service and they are pretty bulletproof and you can actually put a
carb kit in them and make them work.

On the units like I use, I've been told that a carb kit is about $10
and a new carb is a little over $20. I thought about it when I finally
scrapped my old one a couple years back but figured after 11 summers
of use, it was pretty well worn out. The new one runs a lot better and
I have to attribute it to the reed valves and probably cylinder wear
on the old one. During summer I'll go through almost a full tank of
fuel every week or two trimming the yard and the ditches. Summer lasts
a long time here too. We get about 3-4 months of the year