[Steam-engine] Case main bearing lube

Ken Majeski fuller_johnson1 at msn.com
Sat Jun 28 16:38:39 PDT 2008

Well... When You read the Case Steam Engine Manual as Jeff sugested you will find that the 80 Case never had Grease cups or Fittings on the Main bearings.... There are just oil resevoirs that you keep Waste in and oil them... I Used to use a heavy grade of Gear Oil or Steam cylinder oil...

However that said.. it is a Popular (With Some people anyway) to tap the holes to Accept fittings and grease with High Temp Grease.... But you must grease them frequently as Grease will not wick slowly through the waste as Oil does... But it goes a Looong way to keep the engine cleaner.... Another modification I like is to get a Grease Gun Hose and attach it to a mounted grease cup and the eccentric so you can grease the eccentric as you are running... Also don't forget to oil the clutch bearing through at least a couple of the holes provided when you are doing belt work... I see a lot of the clutch spiders worn out... :( Because people Never took the time to locate and use the oil holes between the pinion teeth and under the sliding collar... Ken Majeski, Ellsworth Wis. Case Steam Engine, Rumely Oilpulls H, F & R. Bunch Of Gas Engines. > From: Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com> To: steam-engine at lists.stationary-engine.com> Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 09:17:59 -0600> Subject: [Steam-engine] Case main bearing lube> > Howdy all;> Next weekend we will be steaming up the 80 hp Case at Ft. Missoula which > runs the sawmill. Now I know this sounds dumb but I see no way to grease > the crankshaft mains. There are two holes in each cap. Should grease cups > be screwed into these holes?> > Thanks in advance> > RickinMt. > > _______________________________________________> Steam-engine mailing list> http://www.stationary-engine.com/mailman/listinfo/steam-engine