[Farmall] TRACTOR PULLING story, question.

Frank DeWitt Frank at lbpinc.com
Fri Jun 27 10:41:57 PDT 2008

I have watched Tractor pulling a number of times.  I have figured out
that there are classes, and that the longest distance wins, and that
the weight is transferred from the wheels to the sled as the tractor
pulls,  I have also figured out that there are a lot of other rules
and a lot of tricks.  Any one want to explain a few.

At one show I watched as a old guy worked his way slowly to a old
JD  He turned the fly wheel very slowly,  and finally it started.  I
watched as he made his way around the tractor and turned off the
compression release.  He spent a long time getting on the tractor and
drove to the end of the track and waited.

When his turn came he pulled into position with one smooth
motion.  They dropped the flag and the chain came up tight and the
sled moved, again with a continues smooth motion.  I had observed
that most would bring the chain up tight, then put in the clutch,
give it some gas and take off again. He just kept going and going.

Near the end of his run there was some fancy foot work,  Never any
wheel spin I could see until the end.  then about 5 deg of rotation
and he was done.  Didn't seem like much had happened.  the following
runs had more noise, more spinning wheels, and more waving back and
forth across the tract, He just sat there off to the side with the
engine running,  When it was over they called his name.  He drove up
in front of the stands, and apparently they thought enough of him to
walk his trophy out to him.

He drove back to the exact spot he had left, and shut the tractor
off.  I didn't want to watch him get off, but if I had a tractor
there that day I would have asked him for lessons.  I suspect what I
saw was what he learned in the field in front of a plow.  not what he
learned at the track.

Frank