[AT] Patching Rear Tire on Tractor?

George Willer gwill at gwill.net
Wed Jun 25 07:51:36 PDT 2008

It was years ago when I first used the ether method.  I didn't see any
choice.  My heavy trailer with the dozer aboard was backed into the building
very close to the wall for the winter.  Too close to remove the wheel with
its 10 ply tire.  I don't know how long it remained flat but the tire would
for sure have taken a 'set' and was away from the rim... impossible to
inflate by other methods.

I had never seen it done and didn't know what to expect.  I jacked the
trailer up, gave it a generous whiff of ether. Waved a lit propane torch
past the gap and WHUMP the problem was solved.  I've used ether a few times
since then and wouldn't hesitate to do it again if necessary.

George Willer