[AT] Patching Rear Tire on Tractor?

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Tue Jun 24 20:35:36 PDT 2008

Larry Goss wrote:
> There is no list of ingredients on the side of the can, Roy, but I
> suspect it's mostly rubber cement.  It smells like it, and it does an
> excellent job at sealing the bead when you are initially airing up a
> tire.  These Chinese utility tires on wheel barrows, garden carts,
> warehouse trucks, etc, that are such a pain to put air into when the
> seal breaks at the bead, are a snap with the tire bead sealer.  My
> neighbor fought the tires on his brand new garden cart last fall for
> nearly an hour without success.  One was absolutely flat when he
> unpacked it, and the other showed no pressure reading.  A liberal
> application of the bead sealer made it possible to seat the bead of
> the tire without the expandable bladder that used to be standard
> equipment in every tire shop.  The bladder was wrapped around the
> perimeter of the tire and aired up to compress the tread and spread
> the bead out to the edge of the rim so it would seal the big gap
> around the tire and start holding air.
>
> There I go again showing my age.  Several on this list remember those
> expanders.  The younger ones are saying, "What?"
>
> Larry

Well I figure I'm still young (42) but I not only know what your talking
about I have a few of them. I also have a few inflation donuts (Think a
large jelly filled tube with no stem) You coat them with lube and roll
them over the rim. They fill the space between the tire and bead and pop
free when the tire seats.
  Of course I also have an inflation cannon as well. Basically that is a
10 gallon tank with a 3 inch outlet with a high flow 1/4 turn valve. Get
a real solid footing so you don't move, Then stick the nozzle in the
slot between the tire and rim and open the valve.

And I have even used the ether and a match routine to seat tractor tires...

I only have two tires on the place that just refuse to hold air. They
are TINY ones on my generator. Two piece rims bolted together with
sealer between them, Tubes that have been checked for leaks more than
once, and the tires. I can air them up to 20 pounds and in about 3
months they are flat... I have decided that they will get filled the
next time I pull them off.

--
Steve Williams