[AT] Patching Rear Tire on Tractor?

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Tue Jun 24 21:27:57 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve W." <falcon at telenet.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 9:35 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] Patching Rear Tire on Tractor?

> And I have even used the ether and a match routine to seat tractor
> tires...
>
> I only have two tires on the place that just refuse to hold air. They
> are TINY ones on my generator. Two piece rims bolted together with
> sealer between them, Tubes that have been checked for leaks more than
> once, and the tires. I can air them up to 20 pounds and in about 3
> months they are flat... I have decided that they will get filled the
> next time I pull them off.
>
> --
> Steve Williams

I wondered if anyone was going to mention the ether method. I've never tried
it but know of those that swear by it. The inflation cannon I have seen used
and appears to be a safer alternative.
I've used a light chain wrapped around the perimeter of the tire. Slide a
bar through the chain and twist it to tighten and force the tire bead out to
the rim while applying air pressure to the valve.
Front end loader buckets also work well for bead separating on stubborn
tires like ten ply truck.. A jackall (handyman jack) under a tractor hitch
can also work as a bead separator. I have an old Coates tire changer for the
average sized rims and tires but some of the bigger implement wheels will
not fit on it so the above alternate methods have to be used.

Ralph in Sask.