[AT] Patching Rear Tire on Tractor?

Roy Morgan k1lky at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 24 10:09:45 PDT 2008

On Jun 23, 2008, at 10:40 PM, Cecil Bearden wrote:

> I change all my own tires on everything. ... I started  on my
> first tractor tire in 1962....  Jeez I did not know I was that
> experienced!!!!!!!!!!!

Cecil,

Don't worry about a slowly fading memory.
My theory is that all the wisdom we get as the years go by displaces
the facts in memory.

Now, what was it we were talking about?

Oh yes: My riding lawn mower tubeless rear tires had been patched too
many times by the former owner, so I bought two tubes at a  tire
shop.  My strength and patience ran out just as I'd gotten the first
tube mostly inserted, so I brought the wheels back to the shop.  Even
with a discount for my having starting the work, their mounting fee
was too high it seemed to me. I'm glad to have since found a source
for tubes at half the price.

But this leaves the need for a tire tool. I remember those manual ones
with a lever and push device to un-seat tire beads seen in garages in
the 50's.  Seems like one of those, or a home made version, would do
for lawn mowers and garden tractors.  I can imagine some 4 by 4's and
2 by 4's and some long carriage bolts.

I solemnly invoke the Law of Inverse Perversity:

If you have a spare for a critical part, or better yet more than one,
the part in service will never fail.  If you don't, it will fail at
the worst time.

Corollary for tools:

If you have a special tool for a critical job, or better yet more than
one, you'll never need to use it.  If you don't, you will need it at
the worst time.

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky at earthlink.net