[AT] Ford Jubilee/NAA starter removal

WF Smith mogrits at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 17:00:50 PDT 2008

I just replaced all the rotten and spliced wiring on my Jubilee, including
the rotten wire from the solenoid to the starter. When I loosened the old
wire, the terminal lug broke and now I have a short in the starter from the
positive terminal to the starter body- thus, no starter.

I've removed the three bolts securing the starter to the bellhousing and
cant get the starter off because of the assembly on the starter shaft behind
the flywheel ring gear.

Is there a trick to getting this thing off, or to replacing the terminal
without removing the starter? The oil filter housing prevents pulling the
starter straight forward and possibly out but certainly Ford doesnt require
draining the oil to remove the starter...

I have an I&T manual but it doesn't address this issue.

Thanks,
Warren