[AT] 1950 tractor and such

Roy Morgan k1lky at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 22 12:45:07 PDT 2008

On Jun 22, 2008, at 9:15 AM, Dean Vinson wrote:

> Hi Roy.  Welcome to the list, and have fun with that W-4.  For IH
> manuals, I
> don't think you can go wrong with www.binderbooks.com.

Dean,

I just emailed Kevin (oldiron62 at gmail.com) saying I'd found them. They
claim to be the  "Original Publishers of I & T Manuals).  But, in my
ignorance (soon to be somewhat banished if I listen to good
information and advice from folks like you and Kevin), I don't know of
their first  manual that lists the W-40 is the right one.

> "Restoration has been started" seems a pretty vague description
> indeed.
> I've spent, ahem, more than the tractor is worth on assorted little
> parts
> and odds and ends for my Farmall M,

So, tell me: is the International Harvester Farmall tractor made at
the Farmall factory, and the International Harvester McCormick tractor
made at the McCormick factory?

> all without so much as looking inside
> the engine.  It runs well but has some uneven compression numbers

I happen to have a compression gauge.  I think I last used it on a
Volvo in 1979.  Anyway, what's a good number for the compression?

>  smoky blowby out of the crankcase breather tube so I think of the
> tractor as
> "cleaned up" rather than "restored."

Hmmm..  New rings are in order,  maybe?

> ...some law of physics that keeps the quantity of oil dripping from an
> old machine pretty constant, so you risk creating another drip if
> you fix
> that one.

Oh yes indeed. I was among the last Navy student aviators to fly the
T-28, powered by a Wright R-1820 9 cylinder engine. If the plane and
engine it was not leaking from here and there, you had to suspect
there was no oil in it!

>  I thought my garage floor would stay dry after I replaced the oil
> seals on the PTO shaft and brakes on my M,

I suspect I'll be looking for seals for the hydraulic cylinders at
least.

> ...  I put in a new oil pan gasket a few months ago
> but now the hydraulic valve is leaking, and maybe also a few drops
> from the
> belt pulley drive.  Sneaky little devils.

Yup. they have a way of getting leaks lined up for each ones turn.

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky at earthlink.net
Lovettsville, VA 20180