[AT] Tractor pictures.

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Fri Jun 20 08:00:31 PDT 2008

	I obtained a new Cannon Power Shot A560 recently. It is 7.1 MP, 4X
zoom. Compact but not toy size, it serves my needs very well. Its
problem was that it came with just a demo sized SD card in it. Only 16
MB. On a medium resolution it only held about 16 pictures, on high
resolution it only held about 4  :-)
	The Pentax we have had a couple of years was the same way. For it we
had bought a 512 MB SD card which IIRC holds well over 100 pictures. I
don't recall what that card cost us back then but I do remember
swallowing a little hard as I laid it on the counter.
:-)
	What a difference a few years makes. I just ordered a new Transcend 2
GB card from "The All New CompUSA" (now affiliated with Tiger Direct)
for about $8 bucks...
	I stuck it in the camera and used it on a batch of tornado damage
pictures I needed for a claim and it worked perfectly.
	According to my camera I can now go to a tractor show and take 2,079
medium resolution tractor pictures without transferring them to my
laptop. Yeah, that will be plenty...
;-)
	The local show this year was pretty much a bust. I didn't actually
attend but the local Realtor group was having a rummage sale in one of
the buildings at the same fair grounds and I was there. I'm guessing 30
tractors. A few engines. The consignment auction fell through completely
and was canceled. They advertised heavily that they were giving free
space for local yard sales/flea market booths, also pretty much a bust.
	It says something about a club when it keeps going down hill at the
same time so many shows have kept growing... It was mediocre 10 years
ago and has declined since. One year several years ago I hauled and
drove 6 units in to the show to try to help on numbers and a few guys
whined because even though my stuff was in good mechanical shape and ran
well only two were painted up. That was when I decided to hang it up and
just show at a few other shows. In fairness I do suspect that the high
fuel prices will hurt a lot of smaller shows in particular. We have
always had good shows around us. Rush County to the east (next county)
has long been a good show. Decatur County to the south-east (next
county) has a very nice one and while I missed it this year I have shown
there before, nice bunch, huge auction each year. Johnson County to the
west (next county) has a great show I first met Andy Glines there). I
understand Marion County to the north west (next county) not having a
big show, I don't even know if they have any show at all. Marion County
is pretty much fully covered by Indianapolis...
	A newspaper article before the local show left a bad taste in my mouth.
A guy that the article played up as a founding member and highly
involved stole a baler gauge wheel from a baler belonging to son Scott
several years ago. He stopped at the farm several years ago and looked
at an old New Holland baler Scott was selling for fix-up or parts. Scott
talked to him, I didn't. He came in driving a shiny late model pickup
that was painted orange and black to represent Harley Davidson. I have
NEVER seen another like it anywhere. There is a van like that which sits
at the local cycle shop. He was wanting the gauge wheel that supports
the pickup head and Scott quoted him $10 for it. I think he wanted about
$50 for the whole thing. He said he would think about it... and left.
Later, the next day I think, Scott (next house down the road) was gone
(work) and Diana was gone. I had my pickup down at the west barn 1/4
mile west where I was working and it was in the barn for the shade (and
not visible from that road). I saw that orange and black pickup roll
back in and he was looking the baler over. I assumed that he was
thinking about buying the whole baler. He rolled back out on the road
and left a few minutes later and I never gave it another thought. Later
when I went back to the house I noticed that the gauge wheel was gone...
Scott gave him a few days thinking that he would drop back past and pay
later. Scott later called him but could only leave a message. He
wouldn't ever answer nor return a call.
	Nice guy, huh? Not the kind of people I prefer to associate with...
	He could deny it and probably would but how many guys in Central
Indiana drive an orange and black pickup and of those how many would
want a gauge wheel off of an old New Holland baler.
	As I said, he could always deny it but I will always know he is a thief
and would never trust him or want to be around him...
	For $10 lousy bucks...

--

"farmer"

I don't mind being absent minded so bad if forgetfulness
could just be a little more selective. Just last week I
was saying so to "whats-her-name..."

Hay & Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)