[AT] 1950 tractor and such

Roy Morgan k1lky at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 19 10:51:49 PDT 2008

On Jun 15, 2008, at 5:23 PM, H. L. Staples wrote:

> Welcome to the list Roy, good luck with your new toy.

HL,

(Catching up on missed emails.)

Thanks.  I"m sure I'll learn a lot here.  The "new" tractor is a
McCormick 1950 W-4 model.  The owner says "restoration has been
started" but I don't know yet what that means.  I do know there is
some work to do - a big hint is the puddle of oil under the plow
hydraulic cylinders!  Eventually, I'll fix most of the things wrong
with it.

It's quite likely I'll simply get and keep it running till next
Spring, what with all the other urgent things to do at a new place and
the need to have at least a rudimentary plow for the New York snows.

It was interesting to run into a neighbor two days ago as he was
turning hay in a small field near the kids' bus stop with a 1944 H-4
model.  Same tractor, pretty much, he told me.  (His is the same age
as I am - pretty ancient and still going strong!)

Can you recommend a source of manuals for these old machines?

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky at earthlink.net
Lovettsville, VA 20180