[AT] OT- String trimmers and other 2-cycle pieces of garbage

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Tue Jun 17 23:42:15 PDT 2008

Heres another name brand to consider. I bought my Jonsered string trimmer
years ago. Not sure but I think its got to be ten years or more. Carb. has
never given trouble or needed work. It is a little stubborn starting when
cold but otherwise no problem. For a while I would store it for the winter
with the fuel tank emptied but eventually I forgot to take this precaution.
No ill effects from that either.
Its been a good machine. Burns 32:1 pre mix with whatever brand of 2 stroke
oil I happen to have on hand. As far as I know we only have one grade of
fuel here and I am not sure of the octane rating. Years ago there used to be
two pumps at most service stations, regular gas in the green one and
"premium" in the red.
Also, re: vapor lock, I haven't ever had a problem with that on any engine
since the days of flathead Fords. Dad's old 52 Merc would occasionally fail
to start hot and I can recall him pouring water over the fuel pump and line
to get it running again.

Ralph in Sask.