[AT] Ethanol

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Tue Jun 17 06:18:02 PDT 2008

carl gogol wrote:
> Gene-
> I took my Stihl chainsaw back to the dealer about 6 weeks after I bought it
> complaining I couldn't get it to rev and have enough power - this was about
> 2 weeks after I took it back so the mechanic would set the max RPM with his
> tach after break-in .  They said the problem was the gas; probably water in
> it.  --- and of course I was using high test they said!  They had just
> dumped the gas and put a little of their own high test mix in it and
> everthing worked fine.  High test for a simple old chainsaw?? - I sputtered!
> Looks of "How stupid can this guy be"  were focused at me - of course I knew
> that everything else has varying degrees of ethenol in it and absorbes water
> like crazy!  Well I didn't ever think about it and I am quite sure the
> manual says 87 octane is reccomended.  Like you, the gallon a month I use in
> the saws and weedwacker won't break the bank for high test, it is less than
> $ 10% more these days.
> Now I am really confused, because ethanol is also a good way to increase
> octane - so what is really going on here.  Does ethanol in 87 octane regualr
> allow them to put something cheaper into the blend that really does who
> knows what to our fuel systems?
> Carl Gogol - Manlius, NY
> Tasty grazing in the Oran valley of Central NY
> AC D14, 914H
> JD 5320 MFWD
> Kubota F-2400, B7300HST
> Simplicity 7116H, 3112H

The problem is that Ethanol is a SPONGE when it comes to water. When it
is produced it can be pure 100% alcohol. However because it is VERY
hygroscopic as soon as it hits any air it starts absorbing water. Also
because it does raise octane it gets added to lower octane base stocks
to make them into 87 or 89 octane fuels. The higher percentage of
ethanol means that any water in the tanks along the way end up in the fuel.

In this area at least the 10% stuff seems to be mainly the mid grade if
it's a branded station (Mobil, Exxon, and the like) However the ones who
buy gypsy gas (whoever has the lowest price when they call for a drop)
just have a "May contain 10% Ethanol" on the pump. The local Valero
store has just the mid grade tagged. I buy the 87 for the vehicles and
93 for the two strokes. The higher octane is needed in many two strokes
because of the engine design. High power, light weight, air cooling and
the oil mix (which lowers octane) all make the 93 a needed item.

--
Steve Williams
Firefighter,EMT, Fire Police